Here’s an easy exercise to do so you can get an understanding of the importance of opposites (Yin Yang) in Tai Chi.
- Stand with your feet about shoulder apart
- Arms beside your body
- Raise you arms out in front of you to about shoulder high
- Bend your elbows so you arms move towards your body
- Lower your arms to starting postion.
- As above but now as you raise your arms think of your chi sinking from your tan tien (just below your belly button) through your legs, out the bubbling wells (soles of your feet) and deep into the ground.
- Do this several times
- Notice the different feeling between step one and step two
This exercise is the opening posture in Wu style Tai Chi and is common to most Tai Chi styles. Step one is beginners level and step two is usually intermediate level.
Have a go and let me know how it feels.