In a Tai Chi class I teach various Chi Kung exercises to help students increase their circulation and get the chi to flow.
Besides demonstrating the technique I try to select a visualisation technique that will help students perform the exercise correctly.
Here’s a visualisation technique you can use to get your wrists loose and ready for the Tai Chi form.
- hold your hands – out in front and away from your abdomen
- shake your hands up and down slowly and gently
- increase the speed of the shake gradually
- Visualise there are small strips of adhesive tape attached to your finger and thumbs’ tips while shaking your hands
- Now imagine you are trying to get rid of the strips of adhesive tape
Sometimes students shake their hands vigorously which is a mistake. Relax the hands while you shake them.
And you must relax your face, body, arms at all times and maintain the correct body alignment for the chi to flow smoothly in your wrists.